Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Finally

So finally I'm publishing this blog. Not sure if it was inertia or a lack of progress, but the dam finally burst.
I have found an incredible mentor to work with, Michael Hintlian. What I wanted was a really good documentary photographer and that's the least of what I have. Michael is a quiet man who i passionate about photography and a photographer's role in making the picture.
I'm lucky to work with someone like him. My first impression on the phone was he was a "leave your ego at the door" kind of person - after yesterday's face-to-face, my impression was validated.
One of my missions this term is to learn to slow down ; shedding the shoot fast its deadline time mentality that drove me for all my years in photojournalism won't be easy, but I've gotten access to a medium format digital camera to use - after spending the entire day today trying to figure out how to make it work ( no user manuel could be found), I finally have it up and running. Slow is the keyword with this piece of equipment, I'll have more time to smell the roses than I know what to do with.
First paper is almost done, and for now so am I - its time to hit the publish button.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia Hauk said...

Welcome to the blogging world Jay! The experience with your mentor sounds wonderful! I can't wait to see where your art takes you over the semester! :) Cyn

January 29, 2008 at 10:33 PM  
Blogger rachel woodburn said...

Hi Jay, I love your images on the beach, I want to be in that meditative place, they connect to me in a personal way. It is the way I see places those places where the ocean meets the land. It is in this place where there are gifts offered up only for a moment and the washed away with the nest tide. In these places I can see the land slowly evolve before my eyes, yes the earth is a living and breathing with us. For me these images become abstract poerty.

I find that boarded up places give me a place for narrative and even without people in the images it is the footprints or absence of the people that let me tell my own story.

January 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home